Building an Instagram-Like App with Parse and Swift
Parse, the mobile app platform, has one particularly interesting product: Parse Core. One of its features allows app developers to store data in the cloud, without worrying about setting up servers and designing a REST API. Parse Core is also locally backed, like Core Data, which makes it a very good solution for online-offline back-ends.
This tutorial explains how to create an app that’s backed by Parse. We’ll create an Instagram-like app with these features:
- Load data from Parse, store it locally.
- Save data to Parse, write it back to the cloud.
- Upvote, or like, pictures of cats.
The app will be entirely created with Swift, Apple’s new programming language for making iOS apps. Parse isn’t yet rewritten in Swift, so we’ll have to create a Bridging Header to work with it.
This is what you’ll learn:
- Working with Parse, retrieving and saving data in the cloud.
- Integrating a Swift project with Objective-C frameworks, with Cocoapods.
- Setting up views and a custom table view cell with Interface Builder.
- Coding an entire app with Swift, from scratch.
- Working with Auto Layout and constraints.
- Using gesture recognizers, optionals, conditions, closures, properties, outlets and actions.
Read the full guide: Building an Instagram-Like App with Parse and Swift on AppCoda
Learn how to code iOS apps with me. We'll focus on app architecture, best practices and fundamental topics.
Become an insider. Get access to our members-only courses and private community. » Learn more
Most Popular Content
- How To Make An App (In 9 Steps)
- How To Develop iOS Apps On A Windows PC
- How To: Pass Data Between View Controllers In Swift (Extended)
- Creating A Simple iOS Game With Swift In Xcode
- How To: Build A Real-Time Chat App With Firebase And Swift
- How To: Random Numbers in Swift
- Understanding The "Use of Unresolved Identifier" Error In Xcode
- Understanding The «Unexpectedly found nil while unwrapping an Optional value» Error
Comments & Questions
Got a comment or question? Let me know! I read and respond to every one. Thanks!