Building an Instagram-Like App with Parse and Swift
Parse, the mobile app platform, has one particularly interesting product: Parse Core. One of its features allows app developers to store data in the cloud, without worrying about setting up servers and designing a REST API. Parse Core is also locally backed, like Core Data, which makes it a very good solution for online-offline back-ends.
This tutorial explains how to create an app that’s backed by Parse. We’ll create an Instagram-like app with these features:
- Load data from Parse, store it locally.
- Save data to Parse, write it back to the cloud.
- Upvote, or like, pictures of cats.
The app will be entirely created with Swift, Apple’s new programming language for making iOS apps. Parse isn’t yet rewritten in Swift, so we’ll have to create a Bridging Header to work with it.
This is what you’ll learn:
- Working with Parse, retrieving and saving data in the cloud.
- Integrating a Swift project with Objective-C frameworks, with Cocoapods.
- Setting up views and a custom table view cell with Interface Builder.
- Coding an entire app with Swift, from scratch.
- Working with Auto Layout and constraints.
- Using gesture recognizers, optionals, conditions, closures, properties, outlets and actions.
Read the full guide: Building an Instagram-Like App with Parse and Swift on AppCoda
Join 11.000+ app developers and marketers
- Get a weekly curated list of app development tools, articles and resources in your inbox
- 10x your app installs with relevant App Store Optimization and app marketing strategies
- BONUS: Grab a free copy of the App Toolbox 2017 to supercharge your next app project
Most Popular Content
Got a killer app idea?
Grab the App Toolbox 2017 to learn how to save time building your app,
and how to 10x your app installs in the App Store. With the toolbox, you'll immediately know how to move forward to build better, more profitable apps.
Get The App Toolbox
and how to 10x your app installs in the App Store. With the toolbox, you'll immediately know how to move forward to build better, more profitable apps. Get The App Toolbox
Comments & Thoughts
On The Blog
[MEGA POST] Best of Quora: Building Better, More Profitable Apps With Swift, App Store Optimization & Growth Hacking
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever." Make sure you're no one's fool by learning from the questions of others in this MEGA Best of Quora blog post.
Add 1: Creating A Simple iOS Game With Swift in Xcode (Part 2)
Yeah! Let’s do some more app making. Last week, I showed you how to create a simple game from scratch. We got the mechanics figured out, and the game is playable. This week, we’re going to make it more fun to play and less minimal.
Chris Thomas on Data-Based Idea Validation and Building A Virtual Business On The Side
In this episode of The Reinder Show I'm joined by Chris Thomas from Hibermate.com, who explains how exactly he built his e-commerce store selling earmuffs for sleeping. Enjoy!