Build A Simple Game With Swift
Aw yiss! It’s app makin’ time. Fire up your Xcode, get your Swift hat on and get hacking with this game called Add-1.
During the coming days, you’ll be learning how to create a game for iOS with Swift. We’ll dive in Xcode, variables, working with input and output, optionals, using Interface Builder, all you need to get started with iPhone app coding.
Updated for Xcode 9 and Swift 4.0
The game we’ll create is called “Add 1”, and as far as I know it’s an invention of Daniel Kahneman. He’s the author of “Thinking Fast and Slow”, and used the game as an assignment in his research of cognitive strain.
The game is perfect for creating a small and simple app with enough functionality to make it a worthwhile learning experience. By the end of this mini course, you’ll know how to make a simple app and you’ll be able to challenge your friends to see who can make the most add-1’s in 60 seconds.
There’s not much to setup before you can follow this mini course, but you at least need:
- A Mac
- With Xcode 8 installed
- An hour or so of time in total
- No programming experience required!
Get complementary access to my course, Zero to App Store, and learn how you can build a real-time chat app with Firebase and Swift!
Project Code, Assets and This Series
This code guide is part of a series with 3 parts in total. Check out all 3 parts here:
- Add 1: Creating A Simple iOS Game With Swift in Xcode (Part 1)
- Add 1: Creating A Simple iOS Game With Swift in Xcode (Part 2)
- Add 1: Creating A Simple iOS Game With Swift in Xcode (Part 3)
Download the Xcode project and assets with these links:
- All source code and the Xcode project is available for download on GitHub
- All Add 1 graphics, assets and the app icon (required to make this project yourself)
Unzip, and save in a convenient folder.
This project makes use of the following free assets:
Most Popular Content
- How To Develop iOS Apps On A Windows PC
- How To: Build A Real-Time Chat App With Firebase And Swift
- How To: Random Numbers in Swift
- Creating A Simple iOS Game With Swift In Xcode (Part 1)
- How To: Pass Data Between View Controllers In Swift (Extended)
- Grand Central Dispatch: Multi-Threading With Swift
- Understanding The “Use of Unresolved Identifier” Error In Xcode