Build A Game With Swift 3
Aw yiss! It’s app makin’ time. Fire up your Xcode, get your Swift hat on and get hacking with this game called Add-1.
During the coming days, you’ll be learning how to create a game for iOS with Swift. We’ll dive in Xcode, variables, working with input and output, optionals, using Interface Builder, all you need to get started with iPhone app coding.
Updated for Xcode 8 and Swift 3
The game we’ll create is called “Add 1”, and as far as I know it’s an invention of Daniel Kahneman. He’s the author of “Thinking Fast and Slow”, and used the game as an assignment in his research of cognitive strain.
The game is perfect for creating a small and simple app with enough functionality to make it a worthwhile learning experience. By the end of this mini course, you’ll know how to make a simple app and you’ll be able to challenge your friends to see who can make the most add-1’s in 60 seconds.
There’s not much to setup before you can follow this mini course, but you at least need:
- A Mac
- With Xcode 8 installed
- An hour or so of time in total
- No programming experience required!
Supercharge your next app project
Grab the App Toolbox 2017 to learn how to save time building your app
and how to get thousands of app installs in the App Store.
Project Code, Assets and This Series
This code guide is part of a series with 3 parts in total. Check out all 3 parts here:
- Add 1: Creating A Simple iOS Game With Swift in Xcode (Part 1)
- Add 1: Creating A Simple iOS Game With Swift in Xcode (Part 2)
- Add 1: Creating A Simple iOS Game With Swift in Xcode (Part 3)
Download the Xcode project and assets with these links:
- All source code and the Xcode project is available for download on GitHub
- All Add 1 graphics, assets and the app icon (required to make this project yourself)
Unzip, and save in a convenient folder.
This project makes use of the following free assets:
Join 11.000+ app developers and marketers
- Get a weekly curated list of app development tools, articles and resources in your inbox
- 10x your app installs with relevant App Store Optimization and app marketing strategies
- BONUS: Grab a free copy of the App Toolbox 2017 to supercharge your next app project
Most Popular Content
Comments & Thoughts
On The Blog
App Store Publishing Worksheet
Keep this resource handy! It'll help you with publishing your app in the App Store. How? We've outlined the most important App Store fields for you, and gave neat tips for each single one of them. Fill out the fields, share them with your team, and before you know it you've got a shiny App Store page up and running.
App Store Optimization: A Hands-On Guide for App Developers
With App Store Optimization, you can rank your apps. See, with ASO you’re focusing on metrics that make your app rank better: its rank in the App Store top list (and in the search results) rises. Master ASO, and you can double or triple your app installs in a matter of minutes.
Grand Central Dispatch: Multi-Threading With Swift 3
Multithreading is a mechanism computers can't live without. You know why? CPUs are kinda dumb – they can only do one thing at a time! Fortunately, as an app developer you can use Grand Central Dispatch to make your app execute multiple tasks concurrently. How?