Build A Game With Swift 3
Aw yiss! It’s app makin’ time. Fire up your Xcode, get your Swift hat on and get hacking with this game called Add-1.
During the coming days, you’ll be learning how to create a game for iOS with Swift. We’ll dive in Xcode, variables, working with input and output, optionals, using Interface Builder, all you need to get started with iPhone app coding.
Updated for Xcode 8 and Swift 3
The game we’ll create is called “Add 1”, and as far as I know it’s an invention of Daniel Kahneman. He’s the author of “Thinking Fast and Slow”, and used the game as an assignment in his research of cognitive strain.
The game is perfect for creating a small and simple app with enough functionality to make it a worthwhile learning experience. By the end of this mini course, you’ll know how to make a simple app and you’ll be able to challenge your friends to see who can make the most add-1’s in 60 seconds.
There’s not much to setup before you can follow this mini course, but you at least need:
- A Mac
- With Xcode 8 installed
- An hour or so of time in total
- No programming experience required!
Supercharge your next app project
Grab the App Toolbox 2017 to learn how to save time building your app
and how to get thousands of app installs in the App Store.
Project Code, Assets and This Series
This code guide is part of a series with 3 parts in total. Check out all 3 parts here:
- Add 1: Creating A Simple iOS Game With Swift in Xcode (Part 1)
- Add 1: Creating A Simple iOS Game With Swift in Xcode (Part 2)
- Add 1: Creating A Simple iOS Game With Swift in Xcode (Part 3)
Download the Xcode project and assets with these links:
- All source code and the Xcode project is available for download on GitHub
- All Add 1 graphics, assets and the app icon (required to make this project yourself)
Unzip, and save in a convenient folder.
This project makes use of the following free assets:
Join 11.000+ app developers and marketers
- Get a weekly curated list of app development tools, articles and resources in your inbox
- 10x your app installs with relevant App Store Optimization and app marketing strategies
- BONUS: Grab a free copy of the App Toolbox 2017 to supercharge your next app project
Comments & Thoughts
On The Blog
As a Beginner App Developer, Should I Learn Swift or Objective-C?
On Quora, several times each week I get asked the same question: Should I learn Objective-C or Swift? Together with Dale Grant I dove in to come up with a good answer to this question -- read on.